The history of Bharatpur dates back to 5th century BC, when the Matsya kingdom flourished here. The Matsyas were allies of the Pandavas in the Mahabharata war. Legends say that the origin of the name Bharatpur is traced to Bharat, younger brother of Lord Ram. Laxman, the other brother, was given the most prestigious position as that of the family deity of the ruling family of Bharatpur. His name also appears in the state seals and coat-of-arms.
Bharatpur National Park
Now known as the Keoladeo National Park, Bharatpur National Park is a famous bird watching paradise and is among one of the World Heritage sites.The sanctuary is one of the richest bird areas in the world. It is a human-made establishment known for nesting of its resident birds and visiting migratory birds including water birds.
Lohagarh Fort is one fort which is known as the invincible fort of India. Literally translated, it means Iron Fort. This fort has withstood repeated attacks of the Mughal as well the British forces.Where Lohagarh Fort differs from others is that it is not flamboyant, but radiates an aura of rugged strength.The fort is surrounded by a moat which used to be filled with water.
Banke Bihari Temple
Considered to be one of the holiest towns in the state of Uttar Pradesh, Vrindavan houses a beautiful temple that is dedicated to Lord Krishna. Shri Bankey Bihari Mandir, established by Swami Haridas, a guru of the famous singer, Tansen shelters the image of Lord Krishna in the "Tribhanga" posture..
One of the most beautiful temples of Bharatpur, the Ganga Mandir is considered to be a great architectural piece and owing to its central location within the city many tourists are able to appreciate its beauty.
Shop for the traditional Lac Bangles, colourful clothes, mojris and other typical Rajasthani handicrafts. Silver is relatively cheaper in Rajasthan, so don't lose the opportunity.
There are two Laxman Temples in the heart of the city, one of them is almost 4 centuries old which is . The other, about 300 years old was made by the founder of Bharatpur, Maharaja Baldev Singh.
Located at a distance of around 32 kms from Bharatpur in Rajasthan, Deeg is a tiny town dotted with majestic fortifications, splendid palaces, pretty gardens and beautiful fountains. Once the summer capital of the rulers of Bharatpur, Deeg is now popular for its historical opulence, religious significance and annual fairs and festivals.
Band Baretha is an old wildlife reserve of the rulers of Bharatpur, currently under the administration of the Forest Department. The construction of the dam on Kakund River was started by Maharaj Jaswant Singh in 1866 AD and completed by Maharaj Ram Singh in 1897 AD
Located in the premises of Lohagarh Fort in Gopalgarh, Bharatpur, Government Museum was established in 1944 AD. Among the many antiques and valuable exhibits, the most prominent ones are stone sculptures, wooden carvings, inscriptions, terracotta products etc. The museum has a separate gallery with paintings on peepal leaves, mica and lithopapers.